Saturday, February 14, 2015

How to Seek Joy Through Grateful Eyes

In my growth to seek joy and fulfillment in life, I have come to realize that complaining about a problem can be counterproductive when there is no action put forth to find a solution.  I admit that I have been guilty of complaining and wallowing in self-pity because something was not as I saw it should be.  With that type of attitude, nothing will ever be good enough.  It's in these moments that I had to look in the mirror and self-reflect.  Seeking joy is all about perspective.  Is the glass half empty or half full?  There are positive and amazing things happening around me every day if I take the time to see it.  Seeing through grateful eyes allows me to be still and enjoy these opportunities.  Of course, I would like to be debt free with a wealthy bank account, bigger house, and fancy cars.   But even the richest people with these items are lonely and depressed.  However, what I do have are loving and supportive family and friends.  They are my "A Team" who are willing to come along side my vision and cheer me on as well as pick me up when I struggle to push forward.  The encouragement I receive is a blessing, and no amount of money can replace that. 

So how can you seek joy through grateful eyes?

1. If you can read this post, then you were blessed to wake up, while having the mental, emotional and physical ability to comprehend it. 

2. Put things in perspective and realize your situation could be worse.  

3. Appreciate the little things, like the beauty and scent of a flower.  If you can't appreciate the small things, how can you enjoy the big things?  

4. Love yourself unconditionally regardless of mistakes and failures.  You are fearfully and wonderfully made.

5. Find something to smile and laugh about every day.  Laughter is some of the best medicine and it doesn't need to be covered by insurance to get it.

6. Get centered with your mind, body and soul.  It is important to realize that when we are in alignment spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically, it is hard for the devil to knock us off balance.  By being in alignment, this allows our eyes to focus and see with clarity what is true.

7. Last but certainly not least, understand that God is faithful.  His mercy and grace is more than enough.  When you look at the big picture of your life, it was designed specifically to make you stronger, wiser and polished like a diamond.

I pray these seven steps provide insight and inspiration.  Although it has taken some time and my journey has been long, I can see clearly.  I am grateful I am not where I once was.  I am grateful to share my testimony.

Photo taken by Thomas W. Foxworthy

No comments:

Post a Comment